Last Monday I put on a game for Evan and Chris. As you’ve probably guessed by this post’s title it didn’t go particularly well….
I wanted to try out a few more combinations from my Cold War stats, I pitted a platoon of T72s and Soviet infantry, again a platoon’s worth, carried in BTR60PBs against a pair of BAOR Chieftains and 2 sections of dismounted infantry defending a section of road. Sadly my stats need more looking at- whilst it was a poor game (apologies guys) it was an excellent playtest.
I’ll put up the pretty pictures first then post- mortem afterwards.
First the good things:
The new roads look great- not perfect but given the cost I’m more than happy with them. (I saw them on either a blog or forum- can’t remember which or who posted them- but who ever you were many thanks for the heads up. They were cheap toys from Sainsbury’s.) Especially as they fit next to the Ainsty pavements so well. I’ll pick up more of those at the next show I’m at.
The changes I made to the vehicle damage charts worked well as well. This is one addition we’ll be keeping.
The game failed because the stats I had generated for the game meant that the British were at a severe disadvantage. I tried to make a short cut by only having one APR rating per vehicle rather than per shell but given the length of time they were in service and the different shells that could be used I think that it needs to be included. Given I can’t see more than 3-5 tanks being used per side I don’t think that the extra book keeping will be to arduous.
More research is needed on the main guns of the post war period: The British, 105mm and rifled 120mm, the German 120mm Smoothbore and the Russian 125mm.
I had given the Russians a Milan as an off table asset, how ever as I didn’t fire we couldn’t see how it functioned in the body of the rules. So that will be added back into a future game too.
Right a case of back to the books and research, the stats need a bit more polishing before they are ready.