I recently bought YAAH! magazine number 9 as I was interested in the game based around the battle of Donetsk Airport in 2014-15, rather than pay a lot to have the printed version shipped across the Atlantic I bought a PDF from Wargames Vault:
I thought I’d share a quick tutorial on how I made the game.
First things first is to print the relevant game components and counters, I think that YAAH! uses American rather than British paper sizes which makes things a little more complicated.. I don’t have an A3 printer so I tiled the game board across three sheets, likewise the counters were spread across two pages. I printed them out using the highest print settings on to matte photo paper.
Next I assembled what I needed:
Scissors, metal ruler, cutting mat, glue- I used Fast Tack glue, I find it better than PVA for gluing paper as it is less runny, Craft knife- use a new blade; the usual caveats about sharp things apply, clear sticky backed plastic- very Blue Peter I know, and a seam roller – meant to press the seams of wall paper flat it is great for getting things properly stuck down, I used mount board from the local arts and crafts shop as a base for both the game board and the counters.
Firstly I tackled the game board:
When I tiled the board for printing I allowed for an overlap, I then trimmed each page down for gluing onto the mount board. I decided to work from right to left overlapping as I went, so cut the print outs down accordingly.
Squirt some glue on to the back of the first piece.
Then spread it out into a thin layer to get a nice even coat of glue using an off-cut of cardboard.
Then using the roller ensure that the whole piece is firmly stuck down.
Repeat the procedure for the next, middle piece…
… and also the final piece, get the pages lined up whilst the glue still allows you before pressing the page into place using the roller.
The three pieces stuck down together.
Carefully trim the excess off to leave the game board.
Layout a section of the clear sticky backed plastic, sticky side up and the carefully place the trimmed game board face down on to it. Once again use the roller to ensure good adhesion.
Next I moved on to making the counters.
One page was roughly trimmed, then glued and rolled as before on to the mount board.
Then both sides of the counter sheets were carefully trimmed to the exact, same size before they were stuck together. Makes sure that the glue is spread everywhere on the counter sheets as they will be cut up into small sections, and blank un- glued patches will cause problems later on.
Now you should be left with the two faces glued to either side of the mount board properly lined up.
The final job is to cut out the counters, an sharp bladde is essential here to ensure a clean cut.
The finished result, not bad for an hours work, with the thickness of the card and the sticky backed plastic the components are surprisingly durable.