As requested here are some closeups of the DDR NVA figures. I’m not normally keen on showing closeups as my camera is better than my painting technique but these have turned out alright.
I’ve not re- photographed all of them- just a few that caught my eye.
Here is a quick rundown of how I painted them.
- Undercoat figure in grey from a spray can.
- Paint entire figure Vallejo Model Color (VMC) German Cam Beige.
- Paint skin areas Vallejo Panzer Aces Flesh (VPA) Base, plain and netted helmest VMC Military Green, Boots VMC black, NBC bag VMC Dark grey, Pack roll VPA Canvas, water bottle cover VMC Flat Earth and the Entrenching tool VMC Chocolate Brown and then VPA New wood.
- Wash entire figure in Army Painter Strong tone.
- Go back over all the uniform and helmet cover in VMC German Camo Beige and all the detail parts with with step colours.
- Paint weapon and bayonet VMC black.
- Add vertical rain drop lines with thinned down VMC flat Brown.
- Highlight Weapon with VMC dark grey and VPA New wood. Paint AK magazines VMC Orange Brown.
- Highlight Flesh with VMC Flat flesh and then VPA Flesh highlights. Wash with Army Painter soft tone watered down a little.
- Blackline with VMC Black.
- Very lightly drybrush the entire figure with VMC deck tan.
- Varnish with VMC Matt Varnish.
- Base as appropriate.
The above is my usual technique for speed painting 20mm figure with more care and detailed taken given that the figures are bigger. I didn’t take and step by step photos- it is something I could do a future post on….