I’ve used some of my lockdown time whilst I’m not studying to get some bit painted for my nurgle force.
First up are the Plague Marines. i tried to use a wide a selection of weapons as possible to give me options for kill team. Also I’ve enough for 3 fivve man squads in 40k.
First up we have the Champion and icon bearer.
Next the two special weapon marines: blight launcher and plague sprayer (think chemical flamer).
Then we have three close combat marines- pretty powerful when you get them into a melee fight.
The Plagueburst crawler is a great kit, lots of detail fun to paint and build- adds a decent amount of firepower to my little force.
The plan is post lockdown to start with some 500 point games of 40k and see where it goes. At a stretch I could put out about 2000points I think but I want to work my way up there first.
I’ve used my 3D printer to run off some useful modern bits of scatter terrain. Not the most exciting bits, definately not in colour terms, but they should be good for set dressing on the table. All of them were printed from free stl files from either Wargaming3D or thingiverse.
First up we have a set of 6 sewer entrances. As I’ve already got a sewer system, the resin one from Ainsty, these should prove very useful.
Secondly I ran off a load of Jersey barriers. Great for modern games.
Finally I did some anti- tank obstacles… well not quite. The eagle eye amongst you might recognise these as concrete beach anti- erosion defences. Whilst they have been popularised in the alt WW2 game DUST Tactics they have also been used in the real world too. The Ukrainians used them successfuly as road blocks to stop an armoured thrust towards Mariopol by Russian/ Sepratist forces.
Once lockdown is over I’ll be able to add these to some games.
I’ve backed all three Kickstarters for The Great War board game. However when the last expansion was up, the French one, I didn’t buy any accompanying French tanks at the time.
Having got the box through I saw that the scenarios featuring French tanks need either three Schneider tanks or one Schneider and one St. Chamond. I decided to order myself a set of 3D printed tanks from Butler’s Printed models… I went for 1 of each type initially. I wanted to see what the quality was like firstly, then I figured I may order two more Schneiders later.
Then I got the 3D printer for xmas so I decided to print myself off a set of 3 Schneiders anyway.
First up are the Butler’s Printed Models. They are nice prints, didn’t take much cleaning up at all.
They look pretty smart with a coat of paint on too.
The 3D prints of my own aren’t as fine as the others but this isn’t down to my printer, rather because I scaled a 1:200 file up to 1:100, consequently the lack of detail in the original file became more apparent.
However with a coat of paint on them I’m really very pleased with how they look now.
The colourful, even stylish, French camo was fun to do abd I can’t wait to add this new dimension to my Great War games now.
I have managed to get some paint on the first bits of my 3D printed terrain and am really pleased with how it looks.
First up is the nuked city marker. Can see this getting some use in megagames as given half a chance most players in those games get rather homicidal if they have any nukes in their arsenals.
I also pained up the famous Pripyat sign for some games of Zone Alfa, when the club reopens. A simple grey scheme and plenty of weathering seems to set the tone right for the game.
Just before the social distancing and lockdown came into effect here in the UK Evan and I tried the Aeronautica Imperialis stater box that I got for xmas. Having painted up all the aircraft in it I was keen to give it a go, Evan is always keen on any sort of air war game too.
We started off with simply one aircraft each; I took the Ork Dakka jet whilst Evan went with the Imperials. Getting the hang of the movement rules was easy enough and the shooting is simple to resolve. That said the Ork plane was shot down pretty quickly.
We then upped the numbers with Evan having both Imperial fighters whilst I took three Dakka jets. Whilst they can dish it out the Dakka jets have a glass jaw so it was another Imperial victory.
For the third game Evan took one bomber, with the mission to cross the table and escape, whilst I retained the three Dakka jets (I couldn’t help but reference the WW2 dogfight between a Sunderland and 3 JU88s in the Bay of Biscay here). With the last possible chance I managed to get the bomber shot down having whittled its hit points away one by one.
We managed all three small games in about 2 hours, just shows how quick to pick up the game is. Both of us really enjoyed it, I’ve picked up the expanded rules/ campaign book so wer’ll definiately be playing it again.
These past 3 months I have read 31 books, paint 20 28mm minis and the 9 Aeronautical Imperialis aircraft.
Good on books but poor on everything else. That needs rectifying.
The last few weeks have been rather worrying and disconcerting for pretty much the whole world. I’d like to take this chance to say to all my blogging friends stay safe and I wish all of you well.