Some of the last things I managed to get printed before my 3d printer glitched* were these houses from 18Charlie of Wargaming3D. I liked the modular approach he has taken to his designs so bought a log cabin, a tin roof and the fortified brick building.
From the set of files I’ve got three nice buildings. They did take a while to print but the cost of them is really quite low.I’m particularly keen on the fortified and sandbagged one. The good thing about this sort of thing is that the files were designed for 15mm, I up scaled them again to 20mm and may well print them out a bit bigger still for my 28mm Zona Alfa games. Either way they make a nice bit of terrain for any games set in Eastern Europe.
*I’ve got the part to repair it I’ve just not had the time to do it yet.
I’ve just finished this book on the war in the Ukraine. An interesting little read for the ‘other side’ as it were.
These tank traps come from that conflict and were printed by me. The snow is a mixture of white tectured paint and 1mm white static grass. The figure amongst them is a 20mm US infantryman from Elhiem. Some tufts were added to which the static grass was glued.
More from my printer: this time a rescaled (to 1/300th) LCAC from the ever prolific Mr. Bergman. The LAVs and M1 are also 3d printed. The sea spray is made from teased out teddy bear stuffing glued to the underside of the hovercraft before it was glued on its base.
The LCAC is used by the US Navy to transport troops, vehicles and Cargo from ship to shore, 1 MBT being at the upper end of its load limit. I’ll use mine for some US Marine landing in Norway I think, it should provide some interesting game scenarios.
I wanted to do some more Great War tanks in 15mm to go with my board game. I scaled up the Bergman design from 1/200th to 1/100th and ran off a pair of MKIVs. The plan was to paint them in German colours as captured tanks using the fancy new paint set I had got. The colours went on well and I was happy with the decals too… however, when it came to varnishing I got the dreaded white mist effect:
I was quite annoyed as you can imagine and nearly binned the models, such thoughts are only possible with the cheapness of 3d printing, but remembered that I had no more decals for them.
I risked revarnishing them on a dry day with gloss varnish, I vaguely remembered hearing somewhere that this work, and this managed to save them. See the reults here:
Really glad it did as they look pretty good now. Also it shows the limitations of scalling up a model to twice its size. Some of the detail is a little chunky now. At least it will survive game handling.
I previously posted a couple of examples of the Zuk van that I printed out in 20mm, this time I simply rescalled the 3D model file and reprinted them to match my 28mm models. As you have probably guessed these are heading into my Zone Alpha terrain collection.
I did one van a military green colour whilst the other is more beat up with different coloured doors and more rust.
The bit of scatter terrain is also 3D printed and should make a nice bit of setting for a bandit camp.
One of the tank history blogs that I follow (and highly recommend) is http://www.tankarchives.ca – a bit ago they did a post on French tanks in German service after 1940. After reading it I thought it would make a nice project for my 3D printer.
The tanks were sourced from the ever prolific Bergmann from Thingiverse. Doing this project really made me appreciate my £d printer as it is not something I would have done if I had to buy the resin models as before.
The tanks were actually all printed out a long time ago- just after the publication of the blog post- but have waited for paint until I got the decals for them. I wanted to num,ber them properly as one platoon: 331-335, third company, third platoon, tanks 1-5 with number 1 being the command Somua.
I may yet print out more and do them in the later camo scheme for use in Normandy and the Balkans towards the end of the war….
Beobachtungsturm were a type of watchtower used by the East Germans. I found a file of them on thingiverse and thought it would be a great addition to my Cold War games.
As you can see I did 2 of them of different sizes. The nice thing about 3d printing is this fllexibility- a 1/144 scaled original was printed out at half size and twice size, for 6mm and 20mm respectively.
Here they are unpainted and untextured. They were both given coats of Mr. Surfacer as an undercoat.
I was asked to re-photograph the Chemical tanks with something to give an indication of scale, so as it was not raining today I decided to take the oppertunity to grab a new Primaris Marines as well as a 1995 vintage Necromunda figure to give them some sense of scale.
More bits from thinigverse that I have printed off and painted up. Should be fun for 40k themed games. I’m sure I can make up a Nurgle themed narrative campaign out of them too. The red one will do if anyone runs a Corpse Grinder Cult gang in the next Necromunda campaign too.
I’ve used my 3D printer to run off some useful modern bits of scatter terrain. Not the most exciting bits, definately not in colour terms, but they should be good for set dressing on the table. All of them were printed from free stl files from either Wargaming3D or thingiverse.
First up we have a set of 6 sewer entrances. As I’ve already got a sewer system, the resin one from Ainsty, these should prove very useful.
Secondly I ran off a load of Jersey barriers. Great for modern games.
Finally I did some anti- tank obstacles… well not quite. The eagle eye amongst you might recognise these as concrete beach anti- erosion defences. Whilst they have been popularised in the alt WW2 game DUST Tactics they have also been used in the real world too. The Ukrainians used them successfuly as road blocks to stop an armoured thrust towards Mariopol by Russian/ Sepratist forces.
Once lockdown is over I’ll be able to add these to some games.