Some more from my shed- some assorted bits that I had lying around finally finished, all in 20mm too…
A set of WW2 British Commandos, these are from Wartime Miniatures (seemingly defunct now). These ones are wearing the Denison camo jacket, a similar pattern to the airbourne one, making them emminently suitable for a game set on Walcheren Island as part of the operations to clear the Schelt esturary. Shame that it looks like more poses with different weapons won’t be forthcoming.
Sticking with WW2 we have these:
A small group of Honved (Hungarian Army) from this set of plastics. I did these as paint testers for a bigger Crossfire/ Megablitz project, more of which later. Not the best sculpts in the world but they paint up very nicely.
Staying with plastics I have done these:
A set of figures by Dark Alliance inspired by the popular S.T.A.L.K.E.R. PC games. I’ve got several of each pose in the box so for the first lot I picked out a few poses to do with a winter theme (I’ve a fondness for winter basing at the moment). Not sure what I’ll do with them but they make their way into a game some how.
Sticking with PC games I made this:
A set of firing range targets after seeing similar ones in the co-op shooter Insurgency that I played with friends a while back. Bits of foam, ground texture and scrap from the bits box went into making this. Should be good to suggest a camp or base somewhere in MENA.
The old and new bit referring to the age of the models not their places in history….
First up with have the venerable Matchbox Sherman Firefly (although this is a more recent Revell reissue. The commander is from Battlefield/ Blitz and stowage from various sources.
Next we have some recent (i.e. last decade) Airfix trucks made with modern CAD.
I had a few technical problems painting these: the oil wash that I put over a gloss varnish to define the recessed details took and age to dry and even then remained tacky until I hit it with a matt spray. For future models I’m going to remix all my washes with higher quality turps and use a better gloos spray and hopefully that should solve the problem.
Been getting on with some painting, trying to reduce the lead mountain and more importantly those many boxes of figures I’ve got lying around which are started but not finished. I seem to have developed a habit of cleaning, prepping, basing and undercoating figures then leaving them sat in that state in a box for months. Tidying the shed found lots of abandoned projects in that state today. Additionally the take up far more space than if I’d left them in their packets in the bare metal… any way I digress, on with the pictures.
First up is a generic insurgent sniper for the Middle East/ North Africa region. I made a little scenic base for him to fit into too to add a bit more interest.
I painted his trousers in a Russian camo pattern, you can just make that out hopefully.
Armed with the ubiquitous SVD sniper rifle.
I’ll use this idea for other figures too as well as trying a rural base.
Here we have 8 Soviets with a mix of small arms wearing the tropical uniform as seen in Afghanistan in the 1980s.
I’m getting drawn by the retro appeal of the 1950s to gaming the Cold War in that era. I painted up a three squads worth of Brits. They are suitable for that short window of time after the introduction of the SLR but before the WW2 still uniforms were withdrawn; so 1954- 1960.
NCOs have Sterlings the section LMG is the 7.62mm version of the Bren the L4. Section AT weapon is a bazooka (one is slungg on the back of the figure on the left.
One each of the Rifleman poses in the three squads.
I’ve got these finally finished off since the new year (I’ll also do a looking forward/ looking backward post tomorrow) so I thought I’d do a big photo dump of a post to get them out there:
First up- a 6mm sized ruined factory made from bit of resin I got from a private seller on the Lead Adventure Forum.
A small house from Leven miniatures, again in 6mm.
A barricade from S and S model scaled for 20mm. I’m tempted to give the bus some more weathering.
A Armourfast 1/72 Valentine converted to a Bishop with an S and S aftermarket part; the short coming of the Armourfast suspension are evident in the photo more than in real life. I may yet do some remedial work on them.
A cheak FAI 1/72 diecast repainted and decaled into a Finnish scheme.
A trio of 1.72 Rhodesian Bush War vehicles from S and S.
A Rhodesian SAS conversion of a Unimog,
An armoured lorry.
Another Unimog conversion; this time a mortar carrier. I’ll add the crew at a later date.
Three diecast 1/72 BTR60PBs.
Firstly a simple repaint.
One converted into a command variant BTR60PAU, conversion kit by S and S.
Repainted with infantry seated on the outside Afghan style (they considered mines a bigger risk than snipers). Infantry by S and S again.