US Gun trucks- a work in progress.

Ages ago I bought 4 toy trucks from one of the Pound shops in town; they bear an uncanny resembalance to the US M939 6 by 6 truck. I thoughht I’d do a recap of my earlier posts and bring things together. A few other gamers on forums I visit had also bought lots of them too- noticing like many cheap toy vehicles the wheels are the weakest part of the kit; this inspired Sand S models to do a replacement wheel set. I ordered enough replacement wheels for the trucks I had bought (at this point I wished I had bought considerably more of them) and propmtly stashed them in the shed a semi- forgot about them. Recently I was having a clear up in there and found the box again, so after several months delay I got round to making them up. A big inspiration in my project was this rather nice photo book: http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/index/publikationen/american_spezial/gun_trucks_irak.htm I can definately recommed it if you fancy trying something similar yourself.

The basic truck with the tilt removed and the replacement white metal wheels addded.

The basic truck with the tilt removed and the replacement white metal wheels addded.

The gun truck was converted witha spare .50 cal Machine Gun I had in the spares box as well as pieces of plasticard to represent the add on armour plates.

The gun truck was converted witha spare .50 cal Machine Gun I had in the spares box as well as pieces of plasticard to represent the add on armour plates.

The basic paint jobs. 3 were painted in NATO 3 colour camo, the last in a MERDC scheme (which according to my photo references could still be seen in Iraq in 2003).

The basic paint jobs. 3 were painted in NATO 3 colour camo, the last in a MERDC scheme (which according to my photo references could still be seen in Iraq in 2003).

The next post should see them finished…. Cheers, Pete.

Works in Progress from the Shed: Buildings, Ships and Conversions.

A few pics of things that I am working on…

An Airfix resin building  based up.

An Airfix resin building based up.

Back view of the same, the extra rubble was made up of budgie grit, cat litter (clean of course) and Linka casting in plaster.

Back view of the same, the extra rubble was made up of budgie grit, cat litter (clean of course) and Linka casting in plaster.

A pair of Dutch styled buildings based together.

A pair of Dutch styled buildings based together.

Back view: I've tried to find a compromise between putting on a realistic amount of rubble and keeping areas clear for game-ability.

Back view: I’ve tried to find a compromise between putting on a realistic amount of rubble and keeping areas clear for game-ability.

Given that I got all three building at 50% of RRP I’m quite pleased with them. They paint up well and I don’t think you can have too many building in an Urban Skirmish set up.

The Italian Impero, a Littorio class Battleship (never completed in WW2 though). 1/200th kit by Revell.

The Italian Impero, a Littorio class Battleship (never completed in WW2 though). 1/200th kit by Revell.

45 minutes later I had finished it. I find ship kits to be quite enjoyable to build.

45 minutes later I had finished it. I find ship kits to be quite enjoyable to build.

I’m slowly working through my ship collection, I’m aiming to use them for both Fletcher- Pratt style games as well as Air to Surafce attack games with 1/600th planes.

I decided to try my hand at a quick conversion: I wanted to make some US SOF figures with the short lived XM25 grenade launcher (see the wiki page for a quick overview of its developmental history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM25_CDTE ). To try and keep some sort of continuity I used parts from the same sculptor but 3 different companies: Figures by Under Fire Miniatures, heads by Vepa Miniatures and the backpacks were left overs I had from the TDQ/ CP Miniatures Falklands range.

IMG_5977

Tools of the trade, pretty simple really IO don't know why I put off trying it before for so long.

Tools of the trade, pretty simple really IO don’t know why I put off trying it before for so long.

The end result: pretty pleased with it for a first try.

The end result: pretty pleased with it for a first try.

One figure will be painted in Multi- Cam the other in the slightly older ACU scheme.

Cheers,

Pete.