One of the tank history blogs that I follow (and highly recommend) is http://www.tankarchives.ca – a bit ago they did a post on French tanks in German service after 1940. After reading it I thought it would make a nice project for my 3D printer.
The tanks were sourced from the ever prolific Bergmann from Thingiverse. Doing this project really made me appreciate my £d printer as it is not something I would have done if I had to buy the resin models as before.
The tanks were actually all printed out a long time ago- just after the publication of the blog post- but have waited for paint until I got the decals for them. I wanted to num,ber them properly as one platoon: 331-335, third company, third platoon, tanks 1-5 with number 1 being the command Somua.
I may yet print out more and do them in the later camo scheme for use in Normandy and the Balkans towards the end of the war….
Just a quick post… I have just finshed painting these Renault tank turrets in emplacements; as used by the Germans in their Atlantic Wall defences. They were 3D printed by me, originally in 1:100, I resized them to 1:76, still pretty small mind.
I’ve backed all three Kickstarters for The Great War board game. However when the last expansion was up, the French one, I didn’t buy any accompanying French tanks at the time.
Having got the box through I saw that the scenarios featuring French tanks need either three Schneider tanks or one Schneider and one St. Chamond. I decided to order myself a set of 3D printed tanks from Butler’s Printed models… I went for 1 of each type initially. I wanted to see what the quality was like firstly, then I figured I may order two more Schneiders later.
Then I got the 3D printer for xmas so I decided to print myself off a set of 3 Schneiders anyway.
First up are the Butler’s Printed Models. They are nice prints, didn’t take much cleaning up at all.
They look pretty smart with a coat of paint on too.
The 3D prints of my own aren’t as fine as the others but this isn’t down to my printer, rather because I scaled a 1:200 file up to 1:100, consequently the lack of detail in the original file became more apparent.
However with a coat of paint on them I’m really very pleased with how they look now.
The colourful, even stylish, French camo was fun to do abd I can’t wait to add this new dimension to my Great War games now.