Apologies for the nearly month long silence… been busy irl- all of it good thankfully.
Anyway here is a little something I’ve finished a Hobby Boss IDF Merkava IV MBT to give me a pair in 1/72nd.
As usual it was painted by brush in acylics them weathered with oil paint and pigment powders. I need to find a suitable figure to go in the commanders hatch that I left open.
First up is the compound that I made with the parts from Maenoferren which he had 3D printed. I’m really pleased with how this one turned out. Should get lots of use from Colonial through to 21st century. A big thanks to him again.
I also got some paint on the last bits of Ainsty Casting‘s Sewer section that I had sat about undercoated for at least a couple of years.
It is a nice system don’t get me wrong but it has been a bit of a white elephant costs wise. Today, knowing what I now know I’d go for printed mats but there is still an tangible tactile fun manipulating the resin blocks, not dissimilar to Lego really.
For a couple of things I’ve done in the past with it see here and here.
These 20mm figures from Liberation miniatures were speed painted by me in a couple of days. The simple uniform that is being modelled here (good for the Iran- Iraq war, Gulf War and right up to the 2003 invasion) combined with the great painting style made for an enjoyable painting experience, even though I was painting so many at once.
The full group of 32 figures.
A Squad with a representative and varied mix of weapons.
Been getting on with some painting, trying to reduce the lead mountain and more importantly those many boxes of figures I’ve got lying around which are started but not finished. I seem to have developed a habit of cleaning, prepping, basing and undercoating figures then leaving them sat in that state in a box for months. Tidying the shed found lots of abandoned projects in that state today. Additionally the take up far more space than if I’d left them in their packets in the bare metal… any way I digress, on with the pictures.
First up is a generic insurgent sniper for the Middle East/ North Africa region. I made a little scenic base for him to fit into too to add a bit more interest.
I painted his trousers in a Russian camo pattern, you can just make that out hopefully.
Armed with the ubiquitous SVD sniper rifle.
I’ll use this idea for other figures too as well as trying a rural base.
Here we have 8 Soviets with a mix of small arms wearing the tropical uniform as seen in Afghanistan in the 1980s.
I’m getting drawn by the retro appeal of the 1950s to gaming the Cold War in that era. I painted up a three squads worth of Brits. They are suitable for that short window of time after the introduction of the SLR but before the WW2 still uniforms were withdrawn; so 1954- 1960.
NCOs have Sterlings the section LMG is the 7.62mm version of the Bren the L4. Section AT weapon is a bazooka (one is slungg on the back of the figure on the left.
One each of the Rifleman poses in the three squads.
I’m working my way through the last of the cheap diecasts that were available here in the UK a good while back.
For a bit of a change I decided to repaint some for the Middle East theatre, I’ve been tempted to expand that way gaming- wise, Arab/ Israeli Wars, maybe even Iran/Iraq War too.
Anyway these were a quick job. Acrylics, sponge weathering, oil pinwash and then pigments to finish.
A pair of the venerable but potentially still useful SU100s.
A couple of BTR40s.
Just finished these pieces of terrain – all with a desert theme. I’d popped into the local model shop and bought a 4 pack of OO gauge shipping containers from their model railway ranges. I decided to do 3 for my middle east tables (the fourth is being built into an urban barricade).
The small adobe building is from Blotz. It was quickly textured with a mix of filler and textured spray paint.
The last building I’m rather fond of. It was an MDF kit from Sarissa- Precision. It has a more Middle East urban feel to it, I’m planning to pick up more from the same range.