Some of the diecasts that I bought, and showed off in previous posts, weren’t in my first choice of colour scheme so I decided to do a quick repaint of them.
First up the WW2 SU76M- these went from a winter camo to a plain green. The crew figures are from Dixon and AB:
Then the camo’d BMPs and the BTR60PB that was in a parade ground scheme:
For both of these sets of models I applied two thinned coats of Vallejo acryliic straight over the factory paint job then weathered as appropriate.
Then I decided to improved the BTR90s I bought:
I was happy with the camo scheme that they came with so I decided to just enchance it to stop it looking too flat. These three were given a coat of gloss varnish from a spray can before an all over wash of Army Painter soft tone (from the dropper bottles not the big tin) before a few details were painted in and they were weathered.
Over all I’m happy with how quickly they came together and the final result.
Ages ago I bought 4 toy trucks from one of the Pound shops in town; they bear an uncanny resembalance to the US M939 6 by 6 truck. I thoughht I’d do a recap of my earlier posts and bring things together. A few other gamers on forums I visit had also bought lots of them too- noticing like many cheap toy vehicles the wheels are the weakest part of the kit; this inspired Sand S models to do a replacement wheel set. I ordered enough replacement wheels for the trucks I had bought (at this point I wished I had bought considerably more of them) and propmtly stashed them in the shed a semi- forgot about them. Recently I was having a clear up in there and found the box again, so after several months delay I got round to making them up. A big inspiration in my project was this rather nice photo book: http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/index/publikationen/american_spezial/gun_trucks_irak.htm I can definately recommed it if you fancy trying something similar yourself.
The basic truck with the tilt removed and the replacement white metal wheels addded.
The gun truck was converted witha spare .50 cal Machine Gun I had in the spares box as well as pieces of plasticard to represent the add on armour plates.
The basic paint jobs. 3 were painted in NATO 3 colour camo, the last in a MERDC scheme (which according to my photo references could still be seen in Iraq in 2003).
The next post should see them finished…. Cheers, Pete.
I’ve finished the Land Rover conversion that I was working on. I’m rather pleased with it- though I’m unsure about how I painted the windows. I’m not sure whether they look too cartoon-y or not…?
Still, it should look decent enough on the table top.
I’ve also finished the swamp sections. Not much to say about these really, just a combination of paint, varnish then flock/ static grass/ bristles for reeds/ flowery tufts in that order.
They are of a decent size so plenty of room to have Partisans hide in them in a Pripet based game… should make for an interesting scenario….
I have finished the converting of the JB/ Airfix Land Rover to a tracked version.
It is currently sat on my work bench under a coat of green paint but I’ll wait until it is finished before I photograph it again.
I learned a lot from doing the conversion and it has given me the motivation to do a few more. Though should I do another there are several things I would do differently. Mostly this concerns the track units: rather than glue them on separately I would make them up as axles then mount them to ensure better symmetry. The soft plastic that they were made out of took quite a lot of carving and gluing, I would have much preferred to have had all the parts made from polystyrene plastic but you can’t have everything….
Staying the the modelling theme I have decided to revamp all of my trees. If you look at any of my previous game photos you’ll notice them all mounted on large hexes. They had begun to look more than a little scratty by now and the limitations of the hexes was beginning to drag so I have gone for them all mounted on smaller bases. No pics of these as they are not very interesting. What is slightly more interesting (hopefully) is that I am redoing the swamp sections too, as they were also hex based. I invested in the plastic Kallistra offerings after I had been rather taken with their hills that I had got in the past. http://www.kallistra.co.uk/?page=14
Here they are primed ready for paint, the picture doesn’t give any idea of scale but the smallest is slightly bigger than A5. I have added extra texture to them too. Again they’ll be photographed again once they have been completed.
My shed has been resembling a small scale back street garage recently (probably due to those Discovery Channel show I watch when insomnia strikes). I have chosen to make a tracked Land Rover.
It was inspired by a blog post by Mike over at the Bunker Talk blog who was showning off his latest diecast finds. I thought one looked perfect for a conversion I had in mind but had other wise dismissed as too awkward.
So the next time I went into town I had a poke about and bought myself one of these:
and one of these:
to make one of these:
The track assemblies aren’t perfect but close enough for me:
A bit of cutting freed the plastic parts:
and after a little trimming I was left with these:
The remained of the diecast was saved to be turned into part of a scrap heap. The next step will be to make up the plastic Land Rover but leave off the wheels then attempt to marry the two parts together.
To be continued….