The IDF was the first army to use heavy APCs and I figured it would be interesting to explore their tactical use on the table top… so given I’ve got some suitable figures knocking about I turned to my 3D printer and went to Wargaming 3D and bought this file
The Achzarit was built on the chassis on the T55 tank, the Israelis had captured so many of them in the 73 wars that they decided to convert them to APCs given the losses suffered by their M113s in Lebanon in 1982. The turret was removed, the engine turned sideways which allowed for a back door to be fitted and a whopping 14 extra tons of armour added. They were first used in combat in 2002. In IDF service it is slowly being replaced by the Namer APC that is purpose built on the Merkava IV chassis.
The 3D printer allowed this project to be done affordably given that the kit is either available from Butlers Printed Models for a rasonable price or Cromwell in resin for a high price, assuming you can get hold of it anyway. Printing time was about 18 hours at the finest resolution and some of the detail is a little over scaled after scalling it up so much but it is more than adequate for my purposes.
Nicola and I have started to play the excellent new Viking skimish game from Little Wars TV Ravenfeast. I figured we would need a few houses to make the game more interesting and go with the one Dark Age building I already had from War Bases in MDF.
A quick browse on thingiverse found this file of an A frame house, so I ran 2 off and we painted one each.
A quick print on the coarsest setting and it has turned out great. Here is a 28mm plastic figure for scale.
I wanted to do some more Great War tanks in 15mm to go with my board game. I scaled up the Bergman design from 1/200th to 1/100th and ran off a pair of MKIVs. The plan was to paint them in German colours as captured tanks using the fancy new paint set I had got. The colours went on well and I was happy with the decals too… however, when it came to varnishing I got the dreaded white mist effect:
I was quite annoyed as you can imagine and nearly binned the models, such thoughts are only possible with the cheapness of 3d printing, but remembered that I had no more decals for them.
I risked revarnishing them on a dry day with gloss varnish, I vaguely remembered hearing somewhere that this work, and this managed to save them. See the reults here:
Really glad it did as they look pretty good now. Also it shows the limitations of scalling up a model to twice its size. Some of the detail is a little chunky now. At least it will survive game handling.
One of my more leftfield projects from my recent list was a 6mm South America riverine set up. The first bits have been done for it…
Here we have 4 fast boats and 4 Narco subs. These will be great objectives for the game, I may also write a mini smuggling game to go with them too. These are 3d resin prints I bought from Spinneyworld and are wonderful models.
The colours and schemes are authentic one that have come from this excellent source, however not all of the schemes I picked have neccassarily been used on these particular craft, but I thought in this case the rule of cool trimuphs, at least for the visuals.
I can also highly recommend the author’s website for all matters naval.
Right now to get some more boats and infantry done for them….
One of my 20mm projects was to do a platoon of late war Brits. To be a bit different I’ve gone for a platoon’s worth of figures in the Windproof 2 piece camo suit (mostly beccause my gaming friends have standard Brits….)
I’ve just finished up a test section of figures to get my colours down.
I got the 2nd half of my WinterWar Finnish Platoon painted.
They have a pretty undergunned platoon compared to a lot of comparable WW2 countries organisations: only 2 LMGs and 2 SMGs with the balance being rifles. Still what the Finns lacked in firepower and equipment they made up for with tactical nounce.
I’ve gone through the book and worked out what else I need to get hold of to finish the project off… not that much really. I’ll look forward to playing the games using the old Arc of Fire system. Some bits are a bit clunky and their isn’t enough focus on the role of NCOs but it is still one of the better WW2 rulesets out there imo.
Next job for this project is to paint what Russains I do have as opposition and then to start playing some games.
I was kindly given some of the old chaos Spaqce Marines by a friend so decided to paint them up as the infamous Alpha Legion. Notorious for the cunning and deceit, and the subject of many a meme, they look quite fancy in teal and silver. Also in the game lore they make extensive use Chaos cultists which is something that appeals. I also bought the commander from the Blackstone Fortress set seperately to go with them.
Within the squad I have a leader with power fist, a heavy bolter, a flamer, a standard and then a mix of bolters and chainswords with bolt pistols.
I thinking of getting a box of the fallen to convert and paint up in robes to play on their in universe nature.
Either way what I have now will make for a good Kill Team force.
I previously posted a couple of examples of the Zuk van that I printed out in 20mm, this time I simply rescalled the 3D model file and reprinted them to match my 28mm models. As you have probably guessed these are heading into my Zone Alpha terrain collection.
I did one van a military green colour whilst the other is more beat up with different coloured doors and more rust.
The bit of scatter terrain is also 3D printed and should make a nice bit of setting for a bandit camp.