Been getting on with some painting, trying to reduce the lead mountain and more importantly those many boxes of figures I’ve got lying around which are started but not finished. I seem to have developed a habit of cleaning, prepping, basing and undercoating figures then leaving them sat in that state in a box for months. Tidying the shed found lots of abandoned projects in that state today. Additionally the take up far more space than if I’d left them in their packets in the bare metal… any way I digress, on with the pictures.
First up is a generic insurgent sniper for the Middle East/ North Africa region. I made a little scenic base for him to fit into too to add a bit more interest.
I painted his trousers in a Russian camo pattern, you can just make that out hopefully.
Armed with the ubiquitous SVD sniper rifle.
I’ll use this idea for other figures too as well as trying a rural base.
Here we have 8 Soviets with a mix of small arms wearing the tropical uniform as seen in Afghanistan in the 1980s.
I’m getting drawn by the retro appeal of the 1950s to gaming the Cold War in that era. I painted up a three squads worth of Brits. They are suitable for that short window of time after the introduction of the SLR but before the WW2 still uniforms were withdrawn; so 1954- 1960.
NCOs have Sterlings the section LMG is the 7.62mm version of the Bren the L4. Section AT weapon is a bazooka (one is slungg on the back of the figure on the left.
One each of the Rifleman poses in the three squads.
I’m working my way through the last of the cheap diecasts that were available here in the UK a good while back.
For a bit of a change I decided to repaint some for the Middle East theatre, I’ve been tempted to expand that way gaming- wise, Arab/ Israeli Wars, maybe even Iran/Iraq War too.
Anyway these were a quick job. Acrylics, sponge weathering, oil pinwash and then pigments to finish.
A pair of the venerable but potentially still useful SU100s.
A couple of BTR40s.
Bill at Under Fire Miniatures [clicky] was generous enough to give me some his new 28mm castings to paint up. Expanding upon his initial Cold War releases for the Germans both East and West he has brought out some Russians in the classic 1970s/ 80s khaki uniform.
The job lot painted up. Plenty to run some small skirmishes with the previously seen West Germans.
At Bill’s request I photographed the figures in the packs that you buy them in. Here with have the PKM pack.
The platoon HQ pack with and SVD armed Marksman.
The RPK pack.
Finally a pack with 1 RPG7 and three riflemen with AK74s.
Painting was done with Vallejo acrylics. The main uniform was Green Brown, Webbing was Khaki and Leather Belt with the NBC pouch in Canvas, the helmet was Russian Green lightened with a little bit of Yellow Olive.
Many thanks to Bill for the figures.
I’ve got these finally finished off since the new year (I’ll also do a looking forward/ looking backward post tomorrow) so I thought I’d do a big photo dump of a post to get them out there:
First up- a 6mm sized ruined factory made from bit of resin I got from a private seller on the Lead Adventure Forum.
A small house from Leven miniatures, again in 6mm.
A barricade from S and S model scaled for 20mm. I’m tempted to give the bus some more weathering.
A Armourfast 1/72 Valentine converted to a Bishop with an S and S aftermarket part; the short coming of the Armourfast suspension are evident in the photo more than in real life. I may yet do some remedial work on them.
A cheak FAI 1/72 diecast repainted and decaled into a Finnish scheme.
A trio of 1.72 Rhodesian Bush War vehicles from S and S.
A Rhodesian SAS conversion of a Unimog,
An armoured lorry.
Another Unimog conversion; this time a mortar carrier. I’ll add the crew at a later date.
Three diecast 1/72 BTR60PBs.
Firstly a simple repaint.
One converted into a command variant BTR60PAU, conversion kit by S and S.
Repainted with infantry seated on the outside Afghan style (they considered mines a bigger risk than snipers). Infantry by S and S again.
I’ve recently finished this kit as part of a forum’s group build. The kit is by Armourfast, the crewman by AB and the stowage is from an unkown manufacturer that I grabbed from my bits box.
As part of the lendlease agreement the Soviets recieved some 3462 Valentines (of all marks) from both British and Canadian production runs.
Although slow and lacking a HE round for the 2pdr it proved popular in Russian service, being standardised as a light tank during the middle years of the Great Patriotic War.
I decided to go for a work winter white wash paint scheme. It was easy to achive, green was used for the basecoat followed by a patch badly applied (on purpose) all over coat of white. Then by using a sponge and some Vallejo Russian Green paint the work paint effect was built up by carefully dabbing the green on to the exposed edges. A dark brown wash of thinned Vallejo Smoke was used to weather the paint job and add some grime.
Bill (UFM) picked these up for me today from the Leeds branch of ‘The Works’:
Gives me two SU76s – something that my Soviet Collection had been lacking for a long time and two giant T35s for the early part of the war. They were pretty crappy tanks really and the whole multi turreted landships designs quickly fell out of favour but I do like them- especially at that price.
I’m tempted to make a silly wargame and pit them against my German Neubaufahrzeug… like versus like and what have you.