Given the weather at the moment it has been too cold to go into the shed so I’ve been working on a few model kits inside. It is easier just to bring my making and gluing tray in rather than all my paints; it also gives me a chance to get caught up on my back log of plastic kits.
Yesterday I had a bit of a blitz and assembled all of these:
From left to right we have the Hobby Boss Merkava IV, Two Bedford trucks by Airfix, the Revell re- issue of the Matchbox Sherman firefly and finally a Dark Age hut from Warbases.
The Merkava kit is a pleasure to put together, and the old matchbox kits are no drama at all. I think, however, that the Sherman would benefit from some aftermarket stowage and possibly a crewman. The two Airfix trucks were a little disappointing; given that they were a recent kit I found that they weren’t as well fitting as a new kit should be imo. Still with two in a box they are good value if you see them for sale. The Warbases kit was bought as an example of their range, simple to assemble and easier than cutting out a foamcore one myself. I’ll add some texture to the walls and a fake fur roof too. to finish it properly.
Not bad for a few hours work whilst listening to some CDs.
I have a fondness for armed light vehicles, jeeps, trucks what have you. I find them fun to convert up too- bits of plastic card and cheap diecasts with bits from the spares box… that will keep me happily occupied in the shed for a few hours.
Ages ago I found some trucks in the Pound Shop in town that were a passable representation of the US M939, to improve them I gort some replacement wheels from S and S models. Like so much they were boxed up and put in the shed and half forgotten about. But now the weather is improving I’m trying to tidy it up and I was fed up of kicking the box around so I decided to get cracking with them.
I bought 4 trucks (now I wish I had bought significantly more of them) with the idea of forming a convoy for games set in the early part of the Iraq War 2003/4. Three of the trucks would remain as cargo trucks but I couldn’t help playing around with one of them:
This is the basic truck with the tilt removed and the wheels replaced with the white metal alternatives.
Plating was added with plastic card to represent the armour shets that were added inthe early pre MRAP days- the so called ‘hillbilly armour’. The gun is the venerable M2 HMG with came from the spares box, as did the plastic ammo boxes and tarp.
This top view shows off the ammo boxes and tarp better.
A coat of grey primer (also from the pound shop) ties it all together nicely before painting, which will be the next step….
A few pics of things that I am working on…
An Airfix resin building based up.
Back view of the same, the extra rubble was made up of budgie grit, cat litter (clean of course) and Linka casting in plaster.
A pair of Dutch styled buildings based together.
Back view: I’ve tried to find a compromise between putting on a realistic amount of rubble and keeping areas clear for game-ability.
Given that I got all three building at 50% of RRP I’m quite pleased with them. They paint up well and I don’t think you can have too many building in an Urban Skirmish set up.
The Italian Impero, a Littorio class Battleship (never completed in WW2 though). 1/200th kit by Revell.
45 minutes later I had finished it. I find ship kits to be quite enjoyable to build.
I’m slowly working through my ship collection, I’m aiming to use them for both Fletcher- Pratt style games as well as Air to Surafce attack games with 1/600th planes.
I decided to try my hand at a quick conversion: I wanted to make some US SOF figures with the short lived XM25 grenade launcher (see the wiki page for a quick overview of its developmental history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM25_CDTE ). To try and keep some sort of continuity I used parts from the same sculptor but 3 different companies: Figures by Under Fire Miniatures, heads by Vepa Miniatures and the backpacks were left overs I had from the TDQ/ CP Miniatures Falklands range.
Tools of the trade, pretty simple really IO don’t know why I put off trying it before for so long.
The end result: pretty pleased with it for a first try.
One figure will be painted in Multi- Cam the other in the slightly older ACU scheme.