From the Shed: Pox Walkers.

Whilst I had some painting mojo I got these finished that had been sat on my painting tray from well before xmas.

 

I wasn’t happy with my first attempt at some pox walkers so I experimented with these. a mix of GW contrast paints and normal techniques with plenty of ‘nurgle’s rot’ added for slime effects.

poxwalkers

A bit paler than my normal style but I like them- Will do the rest I have to do like that.

Cheers,

 

Pete.

From the shed: Aeronautica Imperialis.

I got the starter box set of GW’s Aeronautica Imperialis for xmas and wanted to get the planes painted before I played it.

The orks’ aircarft were easy to do – a spray of red paint and adding some details.

AI ork planes

 

For the Imperial planes I also used a spray can, grey primer first then green over the top after masking first. Then just an easy job to add the details in and finish off with a wash.

AI imperial planes

Rather pleased with how they turned out.

I’ll be sure to post when I’ve played the game.

 

Cheers,

 

Pete.

 

 

From the shed: Copplestone Scavengers.

Nothing like the promise of a game to get you painting again…

 

… with a game of Zone Alfa (game report coming soon) arranged with Joe I needed some figures so I rummaged in the shed to look for the Copplestone Casting minis I knew I had to make up a Bandit gang.

I knew that I did that post about playing Zone Alfa in 20mm, and I fully intend to do that at home, but a chance conversation at the club wher I mostly play Necromunda led to me finding that there were a few people interested in getting a campaign up and running.

 

Any way I churned these out over the weekend and I’m pretty pleased with them for a rush job.

 

copplestone scavengers

 

Cheers,

 

Pete.

3D printer- my initial foray.

As previously mentioned I recieved a 3D printer for xmas and the past couple of weeks I’ve been playing around with it. I have also been looking on various website for as many interesting looking free files that I could find to try out.

20200106_173619

Assembly was a breeze with only one recalictrant cable proving to be difficult so I quickly printed off the test file to see how it turned out. I was rather pleased with the results. Fast and not too noisy (the cat is happy to sleep through it running)- generates a lot of heat though.

20200106_210931

The next day was, however, less succesful due to what is best described as user generated errors. I tried printing out a different figure but that one failed when a support gave way.

 

I decided to get some simpler terrain bits printed, that is after all what I primarily want to use it for. I found some rather nice manhole covers/ sewer entrances so printed off a set of 6 for myself.

20200115_000900

Given how pleased I was with these I tried my hand at rescalling some vehicles and printing them out. I found a 1:100 set of experimental/ prototype WW2 German designs and selected the smallest and resized it to 1:72. The first time I printed it I didn’t reorientate it so whilst one side printed out very nicely the other didn’t do well at all.

20200116_234800

20200116_234814

I asked about and it seems that the correct way to go is tracks down so I tried again. Much better this time, but when it cam to cleaning off the suppors I fear I may have lost some detail.

20200116_234830

On person did suggest printing AFVs with them stood on their rear hull, I’m not really convinced but in the interests of experimentation I’ll give it a go.

 

I also resized some 1:200 WW1 tanks to 1:100 to use with the Great War board game I enjoy. It is a rather chunky print but once cleaned up I rather like it.

20200117_002832

That is where I have got to so far. I want to try some more scenery before I go into full production to make myself a Necromunda set up.

 

Cheers,

 

Pete.

From the Shed: Yet more 6mm Russian tanks.

My Cold War gaming collection grows ever bigger with this modest set of additions.

20191119_122637

I painted up 3 company bases and 4 individual stands of the T10 heavy tank and 2 company bases of the PT76.

20191119_122654

 

The T10 heavy tank was the ultimate iteration of the IS tank from World War Two, the IS designation was dropped after Stalin’s death. Armed with a 122mm gun it was intended that these heavy tank would act in the overwatch/ supporting fire role to the smaller gunned T54/55 and T62 tanks. A battalion of them was to be found in a Tank division. With the advent of gun launched ATGMs their raison d’etre diminished and as the Cold War progressed they were relegated to more 2nd line units. Still they’ll be a useful addition to my Soviet collection as they’ll allow me to replicate earlier formations to fight my friends’ Leopard 1/ M48s in the case of the West Germans or Chieftans in the case of the Brits.

20191119_125404

The PT76 was similarly an early Cold War tank. Armed with a rather small 76mm gun their amphibious capability meant that they were an ideal recce tank. Given their rather weak armour and gun it is surprising that they saw service with the Russian as late as the second Chechen War in the late 1990s. They also served extensively in other theatres, notably in the Middle East and Vietnam. Painting up these two bases now allows me to field up to a battlion of them in 5core: Brigade Commander terms.

 

Cheers,

 

Pete.

From the Shed: Old School Orlock (Necromunda).

I wanted to add an Ammo Jack (a special hanger on used in campaign games of Necromunda) to my roster and given that they can be equipped with a Bolter I thought it would be nice to use an old 90’s figure for the purpose.

orlock gun jack

 

I bought one from ebay and gave him a quick paint job. I’m rather happy with how he turned out (the club lighting was less than flattering) I’ll re photograph him outside when it stops raining.

 

Cheers,

 

Pete.